Embrace the Unknown By Challenging Yourself to Do One New Thing a Week
With every new year comes the pressure to do things better than the last year. If you’re the type of person that enjoys pushing your limits, you’ll appreciate having new things to look forward to doing and learning about in the future. By making it a point to try one new thing a week, you’re able to acquire new skills, formulate opinions on things you once knew nothing about, and live life to the fullest.
Examples of challenges you can try weekly include:
- Drinking eight glasses or more of water each day. Hydration is important. It’s vital to your body’s many functions, such as respiration and perspiration. It prevents you from feeling sick and confused. If you haven’t been good about drinking water up to this point, now is the time to do something about it.
- Trying a spending fast. Stop all unnecessary buying for seven days. See how much you can save by doing things yourself. You can be very creative with this challenge. Take what you would have spent on coffee and takeout and put it into a high-interest savings account that earns interest for you.
- Meditating for 10 minutes every morning. It allows you to start the day with a clear mind. It’s a practice that takes discipline because most people cannot sit still without their thoughts racing for even a minute. Building a meditation practice that lasts 30 minutes to an hour can be a future challenge after you master this one.
- Reading a book in a different genre than you’re used to enjoying. You never know how much you’ll enjoy something until you try it. You can say you don’t like a particular type of literature without having experienced it. Give your brain a test by reading something completely out of the ordinary for you.
- Cooking a new recipe from a different region of the world. Tickle your tastebuds with something fantastic and delicious. You’ve got options from all corners of the globe. Try another country and culture’s cuisine by cooking it from scratch.
Step out of the ordinary by embracing the extraordinary. You can do many things to challenge yourself mentally, physically, financially, spiritually, socially, and emotionally. Decide what is important to you and start coming up with a plan to approach life with a beginner’s mind. By learning all that you can about the things that interest you, you’re able to become a better, stronger, and more well-rounded version of yourself with each passing month.
Step Outside Your Comfort Zone but Don’t Neglect Your Needs
Prioritizing self-care and your goals lead to a happier, healthier lifestyle for yourself. It ensures that you’re living life on your terms and in a way that makes you feel good about your choices. When you give yourself challenges, you broaden your horizons and see the world in a different way than you did before. You step outside your comfort zone and become more open-minded and excited about the things you might do in the future.